Friday, December 14, 2018

Lovecraft In December #13 & 14: Plus a bonus!


I missed yesterday's posting because I was buying hermit crabs with my fiancee, no I'm not kidding.

This idol comes from the HP Lovecraft Historical Society(or the HPLHS) and is/was one of my holy grail Cthulhu idols.

Cast from a prop featured in the HPLHS's independent silent film The Call of Cthulhu, meant to be a carved walrus tusk amidst a "degenerate eskimeaux tribe" worshipping Cthulhu, I'd coveted it for so long. And one day the stars became right and now I own it.

I love that it came wrapped tightly in faux fur, just adds that extra touch of perfect that comes with everything the HPLHS offers.


This idol is one of the few mass produced I own. Though it's very interesting in and of itself!

You can buy this on Amazon as The Ancient One Tribute Box for about 18 dollars and it comes with a small booklet with a basic write-up of Cthulhu's place in the Mythos.

My copy of the idol(standing at around 4 inches) sadly fell off my computer desk a couple years ago, and the wing tips snapped off. Well, instead of throwing it away, I thought I'd alter it a bit.

So I decided I'd paint it gold and its backstory would be it was a small golden Cthulhu idol found among the personal items of Barnabas Marsh in the G-Man Raid of Innsmouth in the 1920s.

That's pretty cool, right? Right?


And as a bonus this idol, so far, is my only handmade Cthulhu idol.

I based it in a little homage to one of my favorite artists, Jason McKittrick of Cryptocurium.

It's meant to be a little idol carved from stone in the paleolithic era. It's made from a package of Instamorph plastic beads.

Gouged out the eyes and tentacles and appendages with a dremel, painted it completely with acrylic black, then dry brushed it with a stone gray and just a very very light dry brushing of white in some spots.

I'm pretty proud of the stone effect I was able to achieve here!

And that is it for Idolatry Week! Tomorrow will be something different though I have no idea what!

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment